What to Expect from a Reading: Aligning Expectation with Reality

You may have seen Theresa Caputo or Tyler Henry on TV and have a general idea about what a medium does and what to expect. What you may not know is that every medium’s process is a bit different, and that process is a lot more involved than the brief, edited snippets from readings that you see on a television show. I always take a few minutes to describe my own process when we meet, but I’ve also prepared a short list of FAQs and answers, along with some basic Do’s and Don’ts, to prepare you so that your expectations align with reality. My number one goal is for you to feel confident that you have connected with your departed loved ones, and better leaving than when you walked in. Understanding how things work and having a general idea of what to expect is very beneficial. Reading this ahead of time should help with that, as well as save us time during the session, allowing us to focus more on what Spirit has in store for you!

MEDIUMSHIP READING FAQs:

Q:  Who can I expect to hear from? (Expected vs. Unexpected Guests)
A:  Although as a medium I am the one who is able to tune into the Spirit World’s “satellite channel” in order to receive, interpret and deliver messages, I am not in charge of (and therefore cannot guarantee) who comes through or what information they provide. I view myself as a facilitator and my intention is always the same: to connect with Spirit in a way that will best help everyone involved, and that serves the greater good. Most of the time clients do make contact with the person or people that they are hoping or expecting to connect with, but this is not always the case. In my experience, there tends to be a much greater chance of this happening if you were exceptionally close to the person. If you are just hoping to hear from someone because you are curious or think it would be cool, the chances are not as high.

On the same note, unexpected people often make appearances. This might be someone whom you did not anticipate hearing from, or who may have a message for another person close to you. If we hear from someone who doesn’t seem to “fit” for you or anyone else present, I move on, but it will usually make sense later in an “Aha!” moment. The Spirit world has its own agenda and, whether we realize it at the time or not, there is always a reason for what we receive and when we receive it. If you do not hear from someone you were expecting, it does not mean they don’t care or didn’t want to connect with you. They may feel that someone else’s message was more important/necessary at that moment, or the person on the Other Side may not be ready to handle/address any issues that need to be resolved. Occasionally it is simply too soon and your own grief can create energy disturbances that make communication more difficult. I suggest giving yourself (and your loved one) a little time to adjust to the "new normal". They may also simply be busy doing “soul work” on the Other Side. As crazy as it may sound, they actually have Spirit lives to attend to and are growing and learning Up There through their experiences, just as we are doing here on earth, so although they are with us in Spirit, they aren’t stalking us 24/7. It is important to understand that I do not have anyone on speed dial and cannot order up a message as if it were a pizza or Chinese takeout. Bottom line, keep an open mind, try not to get too hung up on who you think should come through, and expect the unexpected.

Special Note on Group Readings: Please recognize that not everyone at a group reading is guaranteed to receive a message, and some messages may be longer than others. The smaller the group, the greater the likelihood that everyone will receive a message. I do not know ahead of time who will come through, but I can tell you that Spirit knows who may need to hear from them in a group setting versus who might benefit more from a private reading. Please read my blog post on group readings before deciding to host or take part in a group reading.

Q: How do you receive information?
A:  It is a complex process, but just as I am about 50/50 visual/auditory in learning style in this world, I am predominately clairvoyant (visual) and clairaudient (auditory) when communicating with the Spirit World as well. When I say that I hear them say something, it is rarely in their actual voice (unless I knew them personally or they sound just like someone else I’ve heard before). It is usually more of a telepathic knowing or 6th sense, which is difficult to explain. As an empath, I also often feel their (and/or your) emotions, and sometimes even their (and/or your) physical ailments. I occasionally also smell something associated with a person, but that is less common.  

Q: What kind of information can I expect to receive? Will I get bad news?
A: First and foremost, your loved ones will not deliver bad news, nor will I. Occasionally they will nag someone to quit smoking or watch their blood sugar, but that’s just their way of watching out for you. My own Spirit Guides will occasionally deliver health information as well, but only if the information can be used to help you prevent future health problems. For example, if I ask, “Are you or someone else concerned about your blood pressure lately?”, please do not panic! It simply means that you might want to keep an eye on your health habits… maybe try walking to the corner cafĂ© and ordering the fresh caprese salad for a change, rather than sitting on the couch and inhaling a bag of pizza rolls! ;)

Secondly, I ask that Spirit not give me anything that I could find on social media or google. If you are surprised that they did not mention a significant person or event, it may be for that reason... I could have found the information online and they (and I) don’t want there to be any doubt that it came directly from them. The information I receive can be from the past and/or the present. I often can’t tell the time frame unless I see someone in a tube top with Farrah hair or a flapper dress from the roaring 20’s.  More often than not, it will be something totally random that will mean nothing to me on its own, but will “click” for you, whether it occurred yesterday, last month or 25 years ago.

Much of what I get depends upon the communication style and personality of the person coming through. While a person almost always becomes more loving, forgiving and tolerant on the other side, their dominant personality traits do not change on the other side. If your loved one was shy, polite and respectful in life, he/she won’t suddenly be dropping the F-bomb or interrupting other Spirits. Likewise, if they enjoyed the limelight or weren’t one to follow the rules, they are more likely to “butt in line” and entertain us from the other side. Just as every person is unique, so is every message… one person may show everything but the kitchen sink, while with another it may be just the facts. No matter what their personality, communicating with Spirit is rarely a clearcut two-way conversation. The best way to describe it is another language that I had to learn which involves images, words, phrases and music that can be literal or symbolic.

Please keep the following in mind as you listen, because you will likely play a big role in helping to put the puzzle pieces together as they show and tell me things:

NAMES: Although I always ask for their name, Spirit often gives me the names of others. Names can be associated with relatives, friends or acquaintances past or present, living and/or deceased. They may mention someone they are with or someone whom they never met… both are ways of validating who they are or that they know what you’ve been been up since they passed. If they mention your new neighbor or a seemingly random co-worker it is to let you know that they are with you at home and/or at work.

SONGS: Songs are a huge part of the language that I use to communicate with Spirit.  A song will either jump out at you as a direct association with them, or as something that you love or just heard, or they can be symbolic/contain a message. For example, if I hear “Be our guest, be our guest…” from Beauty & the Beast, it might be a reference to a party/house guests, or to someone being a huge fan of the movie!?

POP CULTURE/FAMOUS PEOPLE: Sometimes Spirit will show me a famous person because someone looks like or shares a name with them… or they represent a relationship. For example, if I see Joey from Friends, it either means the person was a younger male friend, looked like Matt LeBlanc, or his name was Joey.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Spirit can only use things in my frame of reference, so if you are waiting for them to bring up a song or movie that I’ve never seen or heard of, it doesn’t mean they don’t want to deliver, they simply can’t (unless they find another roundabout way to come at it). They also may not produce every validation that you asked them to on the way over in the car. Please give them the credit that they deserve for what they do give… it takes a lot of energy for them to communicate with you through a basic human like me! ;)

If you have a question that was not answered here, please check the FAQ PAGE of my website!

SOME BASIC DOs & DON’Ts (Helpful Hints):
DO feel free to record and/or take notes during the session. This ensures that you will remember the details of what you heard and, quite often, clears up any confusion you may have experienced in the moment, when you may have been a bit anxious or nervous, allowing for those “Aha!” moments that almost always occur later on.
Please DON’T share the full recording via text or on social media without asking permission of others who may be affected emotionally. While I appreciate your excitement (and the added publicity it affords me), some people are very private and/or a little freaked out by the Spirit World, and putting the actual recording on blast could be stressful or upsetting to loved ones who are in a different place in the grieving process than you are.
DO share your experience with me (and my website/booking info.) with anyone that you think might benefit from a reading.
• Please DON’T give me information ahead of time. I want to give Spirit the opportunity to tell their own story, and if you fill in the details ahead of time, there is less for them to share.
• Please DO briefly respond to any questions that I pose and/or confirm anything that “makes sense”. A simple nod or “Yes, that makes sense” keeps things moving in the right direction. This also lets me know if I’m not interpreting something correctly… if you don’t respond at all, we will waste your (and Spirit’s) time while I’m trying to make sense of something that already makes sense to you. Spirit is never “wrong”, btw, but I am human and can and do make mistakes… luckily Spirit usually keeps coming back around to something until we “get it”.
• Please DO, above all, keep an open heart and mind and allow Spirit to connect and deliver. Healthy skepticism is expected and I welcome it, but this experience is not about me convincing anyone of anything. It is about giving Spirit the opportunity to reassure you that they are still very much with you and that there is something beyond this life on Earth.

FINAL NOTE: I love what I do and consider it an honor to connect you with your loved ones. I also love to get updates and hear about those “Aha!” moments that occur after a reading, so please feel free to send me an email (bethparkermedium@gmail.com) after the fact. Lastly, most of my readings come from referrals. If you are happy with your experience, and are comfortable sharing, please pass my information on to others and/or visit my professional Facebook page to leave a review (https://www.facebook.com/bethparkermedium). Thank you so much!

I have since expanded the list of helpful Mediumship FAQs. Click here for more: MEDIUMSHIP READING FAQs


RETURN TO BOOKING PAGE

Before becoming a professional psychic medium, Beth taught high school French, Spanish, Italian and ESOL. In addition to conducting mediumship and general psychic readings across the country and abroad, she is also conducts paranormal investigations and offers psychic development mentoring for adults and children. Her book, Madame Medium: Unleash Your Inner Psychic with a French Teacher Turned Psychic Medium , was written to help others uncover and hone their own intuitive abilities. Beth lives just outside of Baltimore, Maryland, with her husband, Scott, their dog, Waffle, and their resident house spirit.

To learn more about Beth, her book, and the other services that she offers, visit bethparkermedium.com



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mediumship & Life Path Readings: What to Expect from a Combination Reading

General Psychic FAQs: Answers to Random Questions

Spirit Speak 101: Tingles, Twitches and Ear Pops... How Spirit Tries to Grab Our Attention